How were COVID-19 vaccines developed and approved so quickly? How do we know they are safe?
The development of COVID-19 vaccines happened quickly for many reasons, including:
- Advances in science and technology.
- International collaboration among scientists, researchers, health professionals, industry, and governments.
- Increased dedicated funding.
No clinical trial phases or safety steps were skipped in the development and approval of COVID-19 vaccines and all steps were taken to ensure their safety and effectiveness.
What was different for COVID-19 vaccines was that:
- The three phases of clinical trials overlapped to speed up the process (normally the phases are performed one at a time).
Health Canada used a fast-tracked process that allowed:
- Vaccine manufacturers to submit data as it became available.
- Experts to start the review process right away.
Health Canada only approves a vaccine if it is safe, it works, it meets manufacturing standards, and the benefits outweigh the risks.
Date last reviewed:
Friday, Apr 01, 2022