You are here

Immunization records

Date last reviewed: 
Wednesday, Mar 13, 2024

On this page:

Immunization records (also called vaccination records) provide a history of all the vaccines a person has received. People without immunization records (or proof of immunity to disease) are considered unimmunized and unprotected.

Access immunization records through Health Gateway

You can access, download, and print immunization records through Health Gateway
  • Health Gateway only shows immunizations that are in the Provincial Immunization Registry; this includes immunizations given at public health clinics and pharmacies in BC.
  • It does not show immunizations given by other health care providers (i.e. family doctors and nurse practitioners), at travel clinics, or outside BC. 
  • Anyone 12 years and older can create an account with Health Gateway to access their records. 
  • Parents or caregivers can add younger children to their accounts.

Vaccination Status Reporting Regulation (VSRR)

This regulation was put into place in 2019 and supports the collection of immunization records of school-age children by public health so that all records are stored in the Provincial Immunization Registry. Learn more

Submit or update immunization records 

If your (or your child's) immunization record is incomplete in Health Gateway and you have a paper record, you can submit the record.
  • A health care professional will review the record and update your (or your child’s) record in the Provincial Immunization Registry.
  • Once the records are updated, you can access them through Health Gateway

Keeping records up to date is important

Keeping immunization records up to date is important for public health to:
  • Respond effectively to disease outbreaks in schools or facilities.
  • Recommend immunizations you or your child may be missing.
  • Provide the best care for you or your child through public health programs.
If there is a disease outbreak at your child's school or daycare and your child has missing records, they may be asked to stay home until it is safe to return or until records are provided. 
Immunization records may also be needed for specific jobs, travel, daycare, or school registration.

Finding immunization records that are not in Health Gateway

In BC, a paper record is given at the time of immunization. Childhood immunizations are usually recorded in the Child Health Passport (a passport-sized booklet used to record immunizations and other important information). If you don't have a paper record, you can:
  • Contact the health care provider that gave the vaccines.
  • Contact your community health nurse if the vaccines were given in a First Nations community.
  • If you have moved to BC from another province or country, contact your immunization provider and ask to have the records sent to you.
Please note: If a minor provided consent for immunization, only that minor can request a copy of their record.

If you can't find an immunization record

If you can't find an immunization record:
  • You (or your child) may need to get some of the vaccines again. While this is not ideal, it is safe to repeat vaccines. 
  • Blood tests to determine immunity to vaccine-preventable diseases are not routinely recommended or available for all diseases. 
  • Your health care provider can help you figure out what is best for you or your child.
A preview of the immunization record pages over a blue background.