You are here

How do I report an adverse event following immunization?

 How do I report an adverse event following immunization?
Please report any adverse events to the health care provider who gave you the vaccine. You can also report an adverse event to your own health care provider (if different from who gave you the vaccine), or you can call your local health unit and ask to speak with a public health nurse.
Health care providers are trained to report these events to the correct channels. Reporting adverse events following vaccination is an important part of Canada's vaccine safety monitoring process. Read more about vaccine safety monitoring
If you are concerned about any serious reactions, call your doctor, your local health unit, or call 8-1-1 to speak with a nurse. If this is an emergency, call 9-1-1. 
An adverse event following immunization (also known as an AEFI) is any untoward medical occurrence after a vaccine has been given that may or may not have been caused by the vaccine.
Date last reviewed: 
Thursday, May 05, 2022